Sunday, September 13, 2009

New pill, doctor? Will I have fun with it?

I am a Canadian citizen since 1997, but I still do not feel like I belong here. I always feel like a visitor, who for some unknown reason has been hold in here for too long. I live in Canada but part of me still lives in a different place, probably the place that does not exist any more. But that’s I think the cost of immigration, you have to accept it and play by new rules but you cannot help it you want to criticize those rules if you do not understand them.

I have a big issue with medical service in Canada. In a big city like Toronto god forbid, if you need some emergency or just after hours help, you can hardly get any of it on time, when you need it. Of course the ambulance will come pretty quick but then they will take you in emergency room and if you are not having heart attack or bleeding severely, you’ll be waiting for some doctor to attend to you for hours. May be they hope you somehow get better and just go home, without bothering the doctor, I don’t know. Sometimes it’s exactly how it feels.

I remember once my son who was 15 at that time developed a stomach pain so we called ambulance and we were sitting in the hall there for 3 hours in the middle of a night. Finally my son felt better and I told him: are you better? Let’s go home, I have to go to work in the morning. So we just left and I still do not know what was the problem with his stomach. Every time you go to a family doctor, you have to sit in a row for an hour or more before you can get to the doctor, and all he has just 10 minutes before he shovels you out with some pills. How wonderful! And if the pills do not help you can always go back, sit more and get another pill plus some pills for side effects if you have any. Most doctors are completely ignorant about the miracles of healthy nutrition and almost never give you a sound advice regarding it. Eat everything and in moderation is not working in certain occasions when you are having sugar or some other food addiction or just used to eat wrong type of food, or have a crazy life style etc.

Most babies come into this world amazingly healthy and what happens next? What do we do to our kids, why don’t we teach they healthy habits? They grow up looking for fun. I hate this word fun. I think we use it too much in this country. Not everything is a fun and kids should realize that early. May be then we’ll have less depressed teenagers in this country. They go to the doctors and trust them and then they get hooked on some vicious antidepressants and become dependant, they need more and more and cannot stop. Depression real or imaginary gets worse.

It’s a shame dear doctors, because we have by Nature, God, or whatever you believe into, build in amazing ability to get better no matter what with doctors or no doctors, pills or no pills, sometimes by determination and mere willpower. It’s in our power to make us healthy. Just do not mess with you health, please. And do not let doctors do that just because they need more patients and more money.
I sincerely wish doctors to be paid when a patient have recovered after the treatment AND ONLY THEN. Then they would work efficiently I think. May be in future it will happen. Right now by nature of their profession doctors have tremendous power to save us and to harm us at the same time and it is not a good thing.

That’s my reluctant immigrant’s opinion. I do not trust doctors especially here in Canada, where medicine is severely commercialized. I never go to any annual or whatever check up. I try to live healthy; it is not always possible, as I cannot protect myself from stress. But before I am really sick I am not going to go to any doctor, just forget about it. I’ll take my chances. At least he is not going to harm me. And I will try to help myself as long as I can. Stupid? May be. Sorry, but I have my reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment