Saturday, February 15, 2020

Why I left Toronto and do I regret it?

From my files - flower that blooms in winter every year
   Today I want to talk about that unlucky people who do not have enough money to buy their own place where they feel at home and where they can live happily after that. Unfortunately I belong to that category too. I never had enough money to buy my own place and though at one time my husband and me had our house that brought us nothing but lots of debts and lots of unnecessary worries and I don't want to talk about that now.
   Let's talk about renters.
    I've been living in Toronto, Ontario for many years since my emigration to Canada. Different years but not very happy some of them. Well, everything was okay until I got sick and could not work and could not afford my two bedroom apartment anymore. And I could not afford one bedroom or even bachelor any more. And my 10 years waiting for subsidized place did not give me any results. I was told by authorities that I need a paper from my doctor that I will die in a year or two and then I might get a subsidized place of my own. How do you like that? My doctor did not give me a paper like that. So I had two options - to kill myself right away or to move outside Toronto where I can pay less for my place.
   I tried Oshawa, Barry. I still naively thought that I can live close to Toronto. No such luck. It was difficult for me to travel around after stroke, as it took me almost 6 months before I was able to walk again - more or less. I found one place in Hamilton but I did not like it as it was in a rather noisy area close to downtown. I did not want to live on the streets so I kept looking.
   Finally I found an apartment in London, Ontario that I was sure I could afford and moved there. It was the best decision for me and I think for anyone who is not working for some reasons that kind of move can be a good decision as rental prices in Toronto are close to astronomical now and go up every year. Of course if you have a good job and can afford Toronto it's one thing. But if you are struggle every month to pay your rent, you have to think about it and may be move from Toronto for good. Life in Toronto brings more fun but can you afford it?
   Nowadays we have Internet and phone to keep us connected to people we love so distance is not a problem. It's just a habit as I think - to live in a certain place and of course - there are some problems living in a small city. You still have to have a certain income, pay your rent, and in a large city there are much more places to go and see something interesting. Lake Ontario is a great attraction too. I miss it here in London. And there are not enough doctors here in London. Other than that - not much difference. Lots of quiet places, green and comfortable here if you find a right place to live. I am okay and no regrets at all regarding my move. I am happy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment