Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I still miss my old country, should I go back?

After so many years I still miss my old country. I hardly remember a lot of things that were so important there. So much have changed here and over there too. One part of me wants to come back. Another asks me, why? There is no one there who needs you. There is nothing there for you. Lets face it, you are too old and tired to start all over there.  May be because I do not feel that I belong here either. Canada is a good country but I still feel lost between two worlds. Was it a mistake to come here? Will it be another mistake to go back? Am I still needed here?
My children are all grown up, I am sure they can live without me. Who else is going to miss me? Does it mean that my life is over? Of course, not! I am just a long distance swimmer who at his finish line suddenly encounters storm and slippery rock and he does not have strength to overcome it. Surely he cannot turn back and swim all that distance all over again. He will drown if he turns back, he might drown if he comes to the shore...
We do forget bad things. But basically when you get older your priorities change and some things become more important, things you may have never thought about when you were young. Your personal level of comfort zone. Your home, money you do not have for necessities, your personal freedom when you are a slave to your job, your health. You have to think about all those things. But I've alredy made my decision. I cannot swim back, I have to make ashore no matter how hard it is. I am working on that, I am not giving up.

1 comment:

  1. Alla,
    Thank You. I have spent the last little while reading your blog, sitting here in the Eaton Centre. Odd thing to do you may think, but I live alone you see, have done so for 4 years now. My family lives back in my home country.
    You see today I was feeling alone and depressed, but reading your posts (especially the one on loneliness) has given me some odd variety of peace. I feel better. I hope you get all you desire this year and I know that you will not let that storm get the better of you.

    Thanks again,
    Lonely immigrant

    ReplyDelete