Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just some thoughts about transportation...

When I came to Canada I was so surprised that there are so many cars on the streets, all kinds of models and it looked like everybody had it and some people had like two or three in the garage and on a driveway. It looked so strange to me.
Again in some residential areas we did not even had walking areas, just driveways and roads. You are not supposed to walk anywhere. It looked strange too.
You go outside, dive into your car and go! I was wondering, what if your car is broken or you just want to walk? What if you do not want to drive?
But having a car in this country looks like a necessity more than a luxury, more like a part of something that you are supposed to have anyway, like education, or watch on your hand or jewelry and make up if you are a woman, or an apartment. And if you do not have it, then something is wrong with you and you have to be ashamed of yourself. It should not be like that but sometimes it exactly how I feel.
I do not have a car and I use public transportation to go to work. It is okay in Toronto, we have plenty of buses and Subway, and we have GO trains and even streetcars in downtown area.
But still when everybody around you driving you feel like you are missing something. A tooth maybe.
I never had a feeling like that in my old country. My husband and I, we had a car for sometime and then it started having problems and we sold it and that’s it. It was not a big deal and to keep it and repair was a big hassle.
But here in Canada, you sort of have to have it, or else. It’s hard to explain but it’s true. It’s almost like you are an invalid or something and I do not like that feeling. My problem is that I do not want to spend all that money on something that breaks, causes trouble, takes so much money from you and have to be replaced in 10 years anyway, so what’s the point to have it?
But I am just a reluctant immigrant do not judge me that hard, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment